Re: /etc /usr/etc: solution?

Hi,
>>"Vadim" == Vadim Vygonets <vadik@cs.huji.ac.il> writes:

Vadim> On Sat, 5 Jul 1997, Vincent Renardias wrote:
>>  On Sat, 5 Jul 1997, Vadim Vygonets wrote:
>>
>> > On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Yann Dirson wrote: Oops! I meant
>> "FS-extension-based solution"... the one with /usr/etc as default
>> directory associated to /etc Good solution.  I think we must accept
>> it (or vote this one against the simple one, having conffile in
>> /etc only) and put it in debian-policy.
>>
>> I strongly object! I want NO conffile outside of /etc !

Vadim> Then you will move them back and delete them there.  But why do
Vadim> you object?  I explained my point of view, now please explain
Vadim> yours.  BTW, I proposed this because I'm a sysadmin, and I know
Vadim> that I really don't want to copy conffiles into /etc every time
Vadim> I install a new program.

	Why should we have *all* users go through these shenanighans
 just because you choose not to use the proper tools that sysadmins
 have been using for years on UNIX?

	I have managed tens (though not hundreds) of hetrogeneous Unix
 networks since 1989, and rdist (and now cfengine) has been upto the
 task so far. Why do you think that rdist won't work?

	manoj

--
 "The mark of an immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a
 cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly