Re: /etc /usr/etc: solution?

On Sat, 5 Jul 1997, Alex Yukhimets wrote:

> > It doesn't offend me.  I don't admin large networks Debian systems
> > yet, although it might change soon.  I just think that one of the
> > reasons to keep conffiles in /usr is what you argued against, and
> > another one is that any Unix system must keep its root partition (and,
> > therefore, /etc) as small as possible.  And regarding many people: I
>
> I just checked and my /etc takes about 2MB. Is that 1MB you want to
> move to /usr and therefore make root partition smaller we are talking
> about???

When the root partition is about 16M, 1M is more than enough.

> Even more, moving things to /usr would require judgement from _each_
> package maintainer. I suspect most of us do not have experience of
> large network administaration and common sense may easily fail.

By default, programs don't install the config files in /etc.  The
judgement is basically like this: look at the program source.  If the
program installs its config file (on other Unices) somewhere in /usr,
move it to /usr/bin; if it installs the conffile in /etc (some other
place on the root partition where conffiles live?), let it stay in
/etc.  When in doubt, contact debian-devel.

> Guys, let's keep eyes on the ball and postpone the solution of this
> problem till it would actually be a problem. Meanwhile someone
> (Vadim ?) could develop a package containing utilities which would
> simplify task of maintainence and administration of large network
> environments.

What do you mean, actually a problem?  It is.  For me, at least, and,
I believe, for many people.  And what do you mean by simplifying the
maintainance and admining of large networks?  If you tell me what
package exactly you want to see, maybe I'll make it.  And please,
let's not postpone the solution of this problem -- I want to improve
Debian ASAP, in all the directions (as long as they lead towards good,
compatible and easy-to-manage distribution).

Vadik.

--
Vadim Vygonets * vadik@cs.huji.ac.il * vadik@debian.org * Unix admin
The fish doesn't think, because the fish knows...  everything.