Re: fiat mode on regarding WWW and documentation

On Mon, 30 Jun 1997 branden@apocalypse.sequitur.org wrote:

> > Huh? Why not uncompress them on the server and serve them to the browser
> > as HTML? That would have the advantage of working well :-)
>
> Bandwidth/speed.

It doesn't apply when reading documentation locally, which is what most
people will be.

> Though I know that would require hacking the browsers to re-examine the
> files for parseable content after they're uncompressed locally.

No it doesn't, that's what the MIME headers are for. Pity some servers
don't use them properly.

> > Are we just being dogmatic?
>
> Not exactly -- but I was escalating to ideological heights.  Which may be
> the same thing, depending on your definition of dogmatic.  :)

Isn't the main difference that I'm escalating to ideological heights,
you're dogmatic? :)