Re: Proposal: /etc /usr/etc /usr/local/etc

In message <[🔎] m0wikLf-00IdTiC@golem.pixar.com>, writes:
  >From: Vadim Vygonets <vadik@cs.huji.ac.il>
  >> I can't help noticing that Debian is not too aware about the
  >> differences between / and /usr partitions.  In the ideal, / is local,
  >> and /usr is mounted from a remote machine.
  >
  >Debian policy is to make it possible to run with a shared _READ-ONLY_ /usr.
  >/usr may be coming from a CD, like in Dale's "Drop-in-Debian" product, or
  >it may be shared via NFS. Obviously, we can't put configuration files on
  >an un-writable filesystem.

Have packages look at /etc as now, but by default have /etc/<package>.conf
be a symbolic link to /usr/etc/<package>.conf.  Then the read-only or
site-wide configuration will be in force until the administrator of
the local machine replaces the symbolic link in /etc with a configuration
specific to that machine.

This probably should not apply to essential packages, since /usr might not
be mounted when the package was in use.

Isle of Wight                                  http://lfix.co.uk/oliver

     Make it idiot-proof, and someone will breed a better idiot.