Re: Proposal: /etc /usr/etc /usr/local/etc

On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> Debian policy is to make it possible to run with a shared _READ-ONLY_ /usr.
> /usr may be coming from a CD, like in Dale's "Drop-in-Debian" product, or
> it may be shared via NFS. Obviously, we can't put configuration files on
> an un-writable filesystem.

Yes, you're right when you're talking about the CD-ROM, but not when
you're talking about NFS.  When you have one NFS server, you _can_ put
the config files there, and the fileserver's admin will change them
'cuz they're site-wide.  My opinion.

> I agree that we haven't yet adequately addressed the shared-filesystem issues.

Yup.

> Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@pixar.com   510-215-3502

What's K6BP?

Vadik.

--
Vadim Vygonets * vadik@cs.huji.ac.il * vadik@debian.org * Unix admin
The fish doesn't think, because the fish knows...  everything.