Re: Proposal: /etc /usr/etc /usr/local/etc

From: Vadim Vygonets <vadik@cs.huji.ac.il>
> I can't help noticing that Debian is not too aware about the
> differences between / and /usr partitions.  In the ideal, / is local,
> and /usr is mounted from a remote machine.

Debian policy is to make it possible to run with a shared _READ-ONLY_ /usr.
/usr may be coming from a CD, like in Dale's "Drop-in-Debian" product, or
it may be shared via NFS. Obviously, we can't put configuration files on
an un-writable filesystem.

I agree that we haven't yet adequately addressed the shared-filesystem issues.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@pixar.com   510-215-3502