Re: fixhrefgz unnecessary when fixing web-browsers in the correct wayR

    Bruce> No, you wouldn't send the HTML page as
    Bruce> "application/gzip". You would uncompress it on the server
    Bruce> and send it as "text/html".

 Ok.  Using `apache's mod_actions, in combination with mod_rewrite, I
think it can be done.  The rewrite module can test for the existance
of a file, and do if-then style decisions.

 So a request for "doc.html" will go through the ruleset, Apache
mod_rewrite will look and see if that file is there, and if it is,
serve it.  If it's not, it will rewrite it as doc.html.gz, and look
for that to serve.  It will pass that through to mod_actions, which
will run it down a pipe that uncompresses it, and sends it on as
Mime-type: text/html.

 Is that what you had in mind?  I've just begun to read about this
sort of thing.  I'm partway into the Bat book.

 `boa' can have uncompression internally, with the similar result.  I
think it should also be able to be run from `xinetd', so when it's not
being used, it's not taking up space in the ps table, and _also_ so
that access control can be implemented by system adminixtrators who
don't want anyone outside their realm reading manuals. :)

--
mailto:karlheg+sig@inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom)
http://www.inetarena.com/~karlheg