Re: Sub-categorizing the /usr/doc directory.

    Manoj> Hi, I don't think that just the number of entries are good
    Manoj> enough a reason to split up /usr/doc, and loose the ability
    Manoj> to do (amongst other things) ls -ltr on the dir. If sheer
    Manoj> number is objectionable, look at the following: ( they are
    Manoj> results of something like ls -1 xx | wc -l). why pick on
    Manoj> /usr/doc?

 What prompted me to suggest this is the fact that "/usr/doc" tends to
be listed with `dired', `tkdesk', `mc', or `httpd' quite often.  Every
time I open a `dired' buffer on it, WWW to it, or open a `tkdesk'
window there, the disk grryyyehzzzd-dzz-grryyyehzzzd-dzz-grryyyehzzzd's
and greeeyow-whine's. (sic)  Then it takes a certain amount of time
for `dired' or `tkman' to cons up its internal data structures to hold
the directory.

 I thought that with the directory broken down some, this will be
reduced.

 `find' works well with the directories subdivided.  And typing an
extra '/s/' won't kill me, if I know right where to find what I want.

{C-u M-! find /usr/doc -name '*send*' -type d}
/usr/doc/sendfile
/usr/doc/sendmail

--
mailto:karlheg+sig@inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom)