Re: fixhrefgz unnecessary when fixing web-browsers in the correct wayR

 Manoj> Hi,
 Manoj> 	I may be missing the point but ...
 >>> "Karl" == Karl M Hegbloom <karlheg> writes:

 Karl> The gzipped files are served as application/x-gzip, and an
 Karl> entry in "/etc/mailcap" tells the browser how to uncompress it
 Karl> prior to display rendering.  The protocol isn't changed at all.

 Manoj> 	If we ask for a file (that is, if the link points to the
 Manoj> 	file)
 Manoj>  x.html.gz, then you are right, the mailcap stuff should
 Manoj>  work. If, however, the link points to x.html, and there _is_
 Manoj>  no x.html, just x.html.gz, than mailcap does *not* give us
 Manoj>  the data. Is this not the problem?

 Manoj> 	The server, however, can do this, as people have pointed
 Manoj> 	out.

Another consideration (and please point out if I'm wrong here).
Sending the file as application/x-gzip will in many cases work
correctly, but that doesn't necessarily mean the web browsers will
then go on to parse it as html.  They may very well treat it as plain
text (since they never get the indication that this is actually an
html document in disguise).

Jim

--
@James LewisMoss <dres@dimensional.com> |  Blessed Be!