Re: End of Documentation Discussion

    John> * GNU Info has an awkward interface and is difficult to
    John> search.  It is also nearly impossible to print an entire
    John> manual from the files in the info directory.

 Difficult to search?  Did you read its help page at all? ('?' in the
standalone version, 'h' inside one of the emacsen.)  Press 's', and
enter a search string/regexp, and *bang*, you're there.  You can call
the search function from your own lisp code too.  There's a `libc'
program for the emacsen that lets you put the cursor on a C function
or symbol, and press a few keys, and *presto*, the info is before your
eyes.  It's really cool; I'm learning faster because of it.  Having
everything in the (programmable) editor like that is very handy.

 Why print it?  :-)  If you want a printed copy, you start with the
texinfo source, and make a dvi from it.

 I think that TeXinfo is better thought out, by people with far
greater experience, than Linuxdoc SGML is.

 It can't be that hard to learn, either.  If you can write a program,
you can write texinfo.

--
Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg@inetarena.com>
http://www.inetarena.com/~karlheg