Re: End of Documentation Discussion

karlheg+debian@inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom) writes:

>     John> * GNU Info has an awkward interface and is difficult to
>     John> search.  It is also nearly impossible to print an entire
>     John> manual from the files in the info directory.
>
>  Difficult to search?  Did you read its help page at all? ('?' in the
> standalone version, 'h' inside one of the emacsen.)  Press 's', and
> enter a search string/regexp, and *bang*, you're there.  You can call

I much prefer a grep-style output, listing the line (and possibly the
context) of each hit.  That way, I know immediately which ones are
relevant instead of having to continually reposition through the document.

>  Why print it?  :-)  If you want a printed copy, you start with the
> texinfo source, and make a dvi from it.

Sometimes a printed manual is much easier to work from than an
on-screen version.

How do I make a dvi from the stuff installed into /usr/info?  AFAIK,
that is not possible...

>  I think that TeXinfo is better thought out, by people with far
> greater experience, than Linuxdoc SGML is.

There is a sgml2info program.

--
John Goerzen          | Running Debian GNU/Linux (www.debian.org)
Custom Programming    |