Re: fixhrefgz - tool for converting anchors to gzipped files

: Christoph Lameter:
: > Web browsers are small. Dont think instantly of Apache.

: I assume you meant web servers. They may be small, but they
: make things slow. Unacceptably slow, unless you have a fast
: machine.

200Mhz Pentiums are the standard fare today. And I am running
the boa webserver for example on some low memory 486DX66s with
excellent performance. Boa serves directly from disk unless
there is the need to gunzip something.

The big issue here is that you want to change an existing
very public API (http protocol) to include compression which
may be a big hassle to install on many platforms and so far
has not been an issue on the more popular platforms such as
Win95 or other Unixes.