Re: GCC cross-compilation

On Tue, Jun 24, 1997 at 10:55:09AM +0200, Roman Hodek wrote:
> I use cross-compiling most of the time for m68k, just because the
> Intel machines are much faster... But I test the resulting packages on
> the 68k machine :-) In that case, I think there's nothing to say
> against cross-compiling...
>
> BTW, what really doesn't work with cross-compiling is floating point,
> due to deficiencies in gcc. But you can avoid problems if you use the
> standard <float.h> installed with a cross-gcc. That one just contains
> an #error, so you'll be notified at compile time.

I find this surprising. Presumably, the same gcc source produces
fine binaries for platform x when running on platform x, and fine
binaries for platform y when running on platform y. But what
is the dependence on the host platform? Admittedly, I know
nothing about compiler internals, but I cannot see a reason
why compilation should be at all dependent on the host platform.

In any case, I mentioned this originally because I'd just compiled
gcc for the 6811, to run in i386. I don't think an 8 bit machine
with 64k of address space will run gcc ..

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust                    moffatt@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.