Re: GCC cross-compilation

Michael Meskes wrote:

> Does this mean I could upload all architecture version for my packages?
> If so yes, I think it's useful.
>
> Michael

Well, I personally distrust cross-compilers...at least gcc cross
compilers.  I know that at least one crossover (i386->alpha) has been
known to produce broken binaries at one time, and how can you tell when
the next such disaster will be?  Since you can't actually test the
cross-compiled programs you generated, you never know when you might be
uploading something _really_ broken into stable.

Cross compilers are very good for bootstrapping new linux ports and
things like that, but I wouldn't want to upload "production binaries"
built by a cross-compiler, and would be _very_ upset to find that I was
using one.

--Galen