Re: Hamm: Retracting request for chos to be standard

>     Christoph> Lilo 2.0 has the ability to display a file before the
>     Christoph> prompt and also the ability to boot something with a
>     Christoph> single keystroke. If someone could update the lilo
>     Christoph> package and provide a decent configuration then lilo
>     Christoph> could also offer a nice menu on boot up so that newbies
>     Christoph> are no longer irritated.
>
> I'll have a look at this.
>
>     Christoph> Maybe lilo could also replace syslinux for the
>     Christoph> bootdisks??
>
> As someone else already said, this would be a bad idea, since the advantage
> of syslinux is its DOS support.
>
> --
> Tom Lees <tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk> <tom@debian.org>  http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/
> PGP Key: finger tom@master.debian.org, http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/pgpkey.txt.

My wife likes chos because it offers a nice simple and friendly
and obvious like Windoze type of menu that lets her use the arrow
keys to move a color menu bar onto the (unmentionable OS) selection
a press enter.  This is very easy, and requires no domestic fighting.
I took a quick glance at the lilo 2.0 user's manual last night and
I wasn't convinced that the "message" feature was going to be a
nice simple and friendly and obvious like Windoze type of replacement.
chos is much better than booting Linux using loadlin from a certain
unmentionable OS, (which is how I used to not freak out my wife).
If the "message" feature of lilo 2.0 can make lilo as
friendly as chos, fine, I will use it.  I doubt I will be making a
switch really soon though. How hard would it be to hack bzImage
support into chos?  That is the only real problem with chos, right?
Are there any other features lacking from it that make it unusable
by Debian?  I can certainly attest to the fact that this is one
piece of software that passes the wife test!

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org