Re: inetd question
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: inetd question
- From: email@example.com (Kai Henningsen)
- Date: 15 Jun 1997 10:42:00 +0200
- Message-id: <6YvKQe9jcsB@khms.westfalen.de>
- In-reply-to: <19970613125310.05450@zaphod>
- References: <c=DE%a=_%p=topsystem%l=EINSTEIN-970613081834Zfirstname.lastname@example.org> <c=DE%a=_%p=topsystem%l=EINSTEIN-970613081834Zemail@example.com> <19970613125310.05450@zaphod>
firstname.lastname@example.org (Peter Tobias) wrote on 13.06.97 in <19970613125310.05450@zaphod>:
> On Jun 13, Michael Meskes wrote:
> > Thanks Peter.
> > I guess it's the ident service. So I try nowait.120 and see what
> > happens.
> Of course it is the ident service (that's what the error message of
> inetd said). But the ident service is not a service that is used
> alone. You have an application/service which is called as often
> as the ident service. You should have a look at this application.
> Your problem could also be an entry in hosts.allow or hosts.deny.
> If you use a username (xxx@...) there the tcp_wrapper will do an
> ident/auth lookup for that service (or for all services if the ALL
> keyword has been used).
You are somewhat confused here.
The identd service is called from the _other_ end of the connection (to
find out who sits on your end).
If you actually do have a econd service called just as often, then either
the ident connections are local (both ends on your machine), or else the
second service is some sort of forwarder (like a web proxy), so every time
it is called, it calls out to somewhere else, and that somewhere else then
does an ident query.
> Using "nowait.120" is of course a solution but it is probably better
> to find the application that is causing the problem.
It is not clear that there is a problem, other than heavy use. There may
be, of course, such as ident queries actually causing more ident queries,
but we don't know yet if something like that happens.
TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS MAILING LIST: e-mail the word "unsubscribe" to
Trouble? e-mail to email@example.com .