Re: routing question

templin@bucknell.edu (Pete Templin)  wrote on 13.06.97 in <Pine.LNX.3.96.970613170018.16632A-100000@templinux.bucknell.edu>:

> 	The question is this: I've compiled a lean, mean kernel with the
> appropriate IP forwarding enabled (no firewalling or masquerading is being
> used).  Will it "route" by default, or do I need to add a specific package
> or other external software?

You need to make sure the other boxes send their packets to the router;
that probably means they should have a static route for default to the
router box (or if they're using Microsofts TCP/IP, just configure the
router's address as a gateway). Use the eth0 IP for that.

> 	Here's the output of "route":
>
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway  Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
> cs10.mil.ptd.ne *        255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        2 ppp0
> cs10.mil.ptd.ne *        255.255.255.255 UH    1      0        0 sl0
> 204.186.230.0   *        255.255.255.0   U     0      0       35 eth0
> 127.0.0.0       *        255.0.0.0       U     0      0       18 lo
> default         *        0.0.0.0         U     0      0       87 ppp0
> default         *        0.0.0.0         U     1      0       15 sl0

You're using diald, right? This looks fairly good. However, I'm not sure
about the metrics; you might want to convince diald to make the modem/
default route more "expensive" - say, still have eth0 at 0, have ppp0
(when it's up) at 10, and sl0 (where diald is listening) at 100, or
something, so your box can't possibly get confused and send packets for
the ethernet out via the modem. This should be easy to find in the docs.
(And I'm probably just being paranoid here.)

One more thing.

> yet completely routed, but will be routed through the modem) are:
> 204.186.230.1, 204.186.230.2, 204.186.230.3 .  The first address is given

You may want to check how much subnet bits you actually got, that is, if
someone else may be using other 204.186.230.* addresses. In that case,
you'd have to adjust the 255.255.255.0 entries in your routing table to
have more 1 bits - this should also be an entry in diald.options.

If your ISP did it right, you should have at least the lower three bits
for your net - or maybe you really have the lower eight bits, just as
configured.

> _Any_ advice would certainly be helpful!

Well, ignore any advice about proxy arp. You don't need it for anything.
(Proxy arp convinces an ethernet that a machine is on that net, when it
really only has some sort of connection to the machine doing the proxy
arp. Its main use is for dialin servers which give out dynamic IP
addresses to their clients, to simulate those clients being on the ISP
net.)

MfG Kai