Re: Configuration (was: Re: How do we encourage bug reports?)

On 11 Jun 1997, Kai Henningsen wrote:

> phil@hands.com (Philip Hands)  wrote on 11.06.97 in <[🔎] 1072.866019309@hands.com>:
>
> > The problems that need to be solved are:
> >   unpacking all the request scripts early enough to run them all before the
> >   first pre-inst;
> >   and making the request scripts able to diagnose what questions to ask,
> >   when many other packages may not be installed yet.
>
> It should probably work like this:
>
> * Locate all packages to be installed (main, non-free, and so on)
>
> * From each package, extract the configuration script [1]
>
> * Run the configuration scripts [2]
>
> * Unpack all the packages
>
> * Configure all the packages
>
> [1] It would be nice to have a special (very simple) configuration-getting
> script language for this. This allows us to do intelligent stuff with
> those files, such as ...
>
> [2] ... include the possibilities to request that configuration info from:
>    a. Existing configuration from an older version
>    b. A prepared configuration database of some sort
>    c. A dialog-like interface
>    d. A nice X interface
>    e. a braille-optimized line interface
>    f. [fill in the blanks]
>
> For some ideas, look at the kernel configuration, which already does a-e
> (well, ok, e is not really optimized for braille, but it's probably good
> enough).
>
> The actual configuration in there looks like this - not quite what I
> envision, but getting there:
>
> --- snip ---

I've done this for the configuration script for the package
WN.  I'm only support the text user interface but hope to
move to nice X interface.

It would be nice if Debian could standardize on a
configuration approach.  I think the kernel configuration
approach has some merits but any standard would be better
than none.

--
Jean Pierre