Re: 1.3 installation report

On Jun 8, Kai Henningsen wrote

> bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens)  wrote on 03.06.97 in <[🔎] m0wZ3cx-00IdTXC@golem.pixar.com>:
> > [dselect fails to install main packages depending on ones in non-free
> >  or contrib]
>
> Well, this is one thing that dpkg-mountable seems to get right. Maybe
> other installation methods could be fixed to do the same?
>
> In short, dpkg-mountable does not scan through the archive and unpack
> every package it finds that is wanted, it first tries to locate the
> packages and then unpacks them in order.
                                 ^^^^^^^^
Alphabetical order right now, actually. ;)

> Actually, it has problems, too - dpkg-mountable doesn't (yet?) understand
> pre-dependencies, except to complain about unresolved ones.

No, it still doesn't, but this should be coming in v0.5 in the next
couple of weeks, once I've got Manoj's pkg-order working; in fact, it'll
do full ordering of the install by dependencies, thereby hopefully making
a one-pass from-scratch install possible.

I would have done this a while ago, except for exams, but they're
thankfully now over!

&E

--
Andy Mortimer, andy.mortimer@poboxes.com