Re: cygwin.dll license (was Re: FreeQt ?)

mbaker@iee.org (Mark Baker)  wrote on 07.06.97 in <[🔎] E0waOdO-00042m-00@mnb20.pet.cam.ac.uk>:

> In article <[🔎] 6YR37T$jcsB@khms.westfalen.de>,
> 	kai@khms.westfalen.de (Kai Henningsen) writes:
>
> >> Can't be linked dynamically either...  read the GPL.
> >
> > Can too. Read the law.
> >
> > The GPL _cannot_ restrict someone from doing that, regardless of what they
> > put in it.
>
> Although they _can_ restrict you from using the header files.

Supposing they can (which is not quite as obvious as it looks to some
people), that can of course be worked around.

Most people arguing this subject seem to miss just where copyright law is
coming from. Originally, this was made to protect artists - writers,
painters, and so on.

In these areas, borowing from other people happens fairly often. The law
does not only say that some situations of borrowing need to be allowed by
the original author - it also explicitely says that some need not be. It's
generally a matter of degree. You've probably all heard of "fair use".

In any case, unless the borrowed part is "large enough" in at least one of
the work borrowed from, or the work built with it, there's nothing the
original author can possibly do.

I won't pretend to be able to say just how large is "large enough", except
that it's a lot larger than zero.

MfG Kai