Re: Using CVS for package development

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) writes:

> > E.g. boot-floppies. I regularly receive patches from the people doing
> > the ports to other architectures. If they could merge them into the
> > CVS repository, they needn't wait until I released a new version.
>
> What provision do you suggest for code-review? It's important for things
> like boot-floppies where a patch for one architecture, done carelessly,
> might break another.

Communication should be done via a package-specific mailing list. The
maintainer of the package decides who has commit privileges for this
package and who gets on this package's developers' mailing-list.

This mailing list could be used as target for the bug reports against
this package.

Regarding stability: We will need at least two branches: for stable
and for unstable. When some people cooperate on porting to a specific
architecture and this port does not work yet, they could create an
extra branch. (Usually this won't be necessary.)

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/