Re: Upgrading from 1.1 to frozen

ig25@mvmap66.ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de (Thomas Koenig)  wrote on 27.05.97 in <[🔎] 199705271411.QAA05735@mvmap66.ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de>:

> Scott K. Ellis wrote:
>
> >And if you don't read the documentation, especially the release
> >instructions, you get what you deserve.
>
> What part of the documentation are you referring to?  I found nothing
> referring to that issue in the READMEs or in the doc subdirectory.
> Where else is a user supposed to look?

He's probably referring to someone who said putting it in READMEs is not
enough because people don't read those.

I wonder who that someone might have been?

Incidentally, I completely agree with Scott. I also agree with Manoj that
this needs to be put into the documentation.

Here's some possible text:

-- snip --

       ******************* WARNING **********************

There is a CRITICAL BUG in old versions of dpkg, that will mess up the
dpkg database if you try to upgrade. The solution is to FIRST upgrade dpkg
from the command line, BEFORE EVEN STARTING DSELECT.

To do this: find the dpkg_*.deb file [better give exact path here], then
do

                dpkg -i .../dpkg_....deb

-- snip --

Put that in every doc, and put it as a separate DPKG-BUG.txt or somesuch
in a few prominent places (like the FTP root and the install disk
directory).

MfG Kai