Re: runlevels [was Re: Upcoming Debian Releases]

aj@dungeon.inka.de (Andreas Jellinghaus)  wrote on 27.05.97 in <19970527021333.07988@dungeon.inka.de>:

> On May 26, Kai Henningsen wrote
> > vadik@cs.huji.ac.il (Vadim Vygonets)  wrote on 26.05.97 in
> > <[🔎] Pine.BSI.3.96.970526223242.1034B-100000@robin.cs.huji.ac.il>:
> >
> > > BTW, why does runlevel 6 mean reboot?  Can't it be runlevel 9?  It (6)
> > > seems to be the standard in Linux boxen now, but why?
> >
> > It's been standard in runlevel-based Unix for a long time. That's probably
> > because traditionally, 6 is the last available runlevel; so 6 is
> > traditionally reboot, and 0 is halt, on every Unix system that has
> > runlevels.
>
> maybe that was some time ago, but runlevels 7,8,9 are also available
> (sysvinit can do them), and IIRC i also read something about runlevels
> a,b,c. miquel ?

Don't confuse the Linux sysvinit with the real SysV init. I've been
talking about the latter. I've never seen runlevels higher than 6 used on
those systems.

> > I'm not completely sure, but I suspect there's also near-universal
> > consensus that 1 is more-or-less single user.
>
> S is an acronym for Single user, that's runlevel 1.
> are there more acronyms / short cuts ? btw: "s" will not work (but IIRC
> in old init it was working (in my pre debian time)).

It ought to work.

You tell init to switch runlevels eith either the init or the telinit
command, depending on version; it should accept a runlevel number
(traditionally 1-6), s or S for single user, and q or Q for re-read
inittab.

MfG Kai