Re: virtual packages

On Sat, 24 May 1997, Igor Grobman wrote:

> I've been packaging dotfile generator, and have a small question
> related to virtual packages.  The package will be multi-binary.  It
> consists of the main dotfile package, and a number of modules (currently 8).  I
> want each of the modules to provide a virtual package dotfile-module, but I am
> not sure whether I have to bring this up for discussion on debian-devel or not.
> Here is the relevant paragraph from virtual-package-names-list.txt
>

> Packages MUST NOT use virtual package names (except privately, amongst
> a cooperating group of packages) unless they have been agreed upon and
> appear in this list.
>

> What I have a problem with is the "except" clause.  I will be maintaining all
> of the modules as well as dotfile generator package itself, so does this
> qualify as "private, cooperating group of packages"?  If not, consider this the
> official proposal to  add a new virtual package called dotfile-module.  Let me
> know of any objections you might have.

I fully agree to what Manoj said. Since the dotfile generator will
probably get widely used by other packages we should put this package on
our list of "public virtual packages".

Since I maintain this list, I suggest the following addition to section
"Miscellaneous":

dotfile-module             Anything that provides a module for the dotfile
                           generator

Does someone have objections?

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/