Re: Upcoming Debian Releases

[ Please don't Cc: public replies to me. ]

Mark Baker:
> Having your database seems like a reasonable idea, but it needs to be plain
> text which might be slow

It's fast enough. When I wrote my cfgtool, I timed it, and on
my 90 MHz Pentium, it does a `get' in about 0.01 seconds. If a
system is running any form of cfgtool a hundred times a second,
something is seriously broken.

Assuming the syntax is simple, and there's no need for complexity,
a hand-written parser can be lightning fast, and all the time is
spent in starting the program, and reading the file.

Changes are somewhat slower, but they are extremely rare.