crons scripts should report status info in the mail

Since the output from cron jobs is mailed anyhow, as it should be, I
think that all cron scripts should report in as they are run, and that
this should be made a standard.  Here's why.

Every morning, lately, after my cron.daily directory is run, I get
this in the mail:

8<----------------------------------------------------------------->8
tar: Removing leading / from absolute path names in the archive
tar: Cannot add file /etc/securetty: No such file or directory
tar: Removing leading / from absolute path names in the archive
shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories
8<----------------------------------------------------------------->8

`The `tar` errors about stripping / are no big deal; I will
2>/dev/null them.  I don't know why it cannot find
"/etc/securetty"... anyone know?  The reason I want the scripts to
report is so I can find out which one gives that 'shell-init' error.

I've gone and added an `echo $0` to each script.  Tomorrow morning
I'll know which script it is. :-)

Q: Is anyone using `autoconf`?  I wonder if it's worth learning to
use, and what people use it for.  (I've barely glanced over the
manuals for it, so far.)

--
Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg@inetarena.com>
http://www.inetarena.com/~karlheg