Re: sendmail/smail with relaying blocks?

Tim Cutts wrote:

> On Fri, 9 May 1997, Craig Sanders wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 8 May 1997, Mark Baker wrote:
> >
> > > In article <[🔎] 199705081601.SAA00338@mvmap66.ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de>,
> > >     Thomas Koenig <ig25@mvmap66.ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:
> > >
> > > I don't know what's in Tim's debian package though, as I was already
> > > running exim when I upgraded to debian and used my old configuration
> > > file.
>
> My exim package currently allows relaying; as Craig points out below, what
> you allow relaying to/from is extremely site-dependent.

Agreed.

> I think it is
> more sensible to allow relaying by default;

I beg to differ. I think what is the sensible default depends on the
usage of the machine. For departmental mail servers, then you are
correct relaying is more sensible, but for "Satellite" systems, it is
more sensible to block it.

Could you ask a question at configuration time, probably defaulting to
not allowing relaying. If you want to be really clever, you could make a
guess based on earlier answers.

At the very least, a comment in the exim.conf file would be useful.

I don't think the above would be very difficult to implement, but I may
have missed something.

> without it remote mail from
> Eudora and the like will fail, and I'd rather it worked by default.

Agreed, it is better if things work out of the box.

> have only just restricted mail relaying on my largest exim site (an SG
> Origin 200 machine with >1200 accounts) since relaying abuse by spammers
> has only just become a significant problem.  As Mark suggested below, most
> use temporary accounts and the usual ISP's SMTP server.  I think most
> spammers are probably morons who don't actually have a clue how mail
> works.

Chris