Re: Default editor/pager

On Fri, 9 May 1997, Ian Jackson wrote:

> We've been round this several times, with lots of discussion, but I
> think it's time to do it again and hopefully get resolution.

> [...proposal deleted...]

sounds ideal.  I can't find a single thing wrong with it.

> 6. Implementation - phase 2, use:
> 6.1. editpw and editgr need to be added to the passwd package,
>      and vipw and vigr changed to use vi unless EDITOR is set.

that solves the intensely annoying "i typed 'vipw' NOT 'aepw'" problem.

> 6.2. All other programs which have ae as a default editor for when
>      EDITOR is unset or more as a default pager for when PAGER is
>      unset need to be changed to use editor or pager.

perfect. as long as i install vi & less I wont have to edit /etc/profile
or ~/.bashrc or whatever. update-alternatives will take care of it for
me (which is what the alternatives system was designed for!)

craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract
temporary autonomous zone              system administration tasks.