Re: ae's vi attempt on boot disks stomps on real vi symlink

In article <[🔎] 87afm1g14x.fsf@os.inf.tu-dresden.de>,
Sven Rudolph <sr1@os.inf.tu-dresden.de> wrote:
>So there are two places that contain ae: The root and the base disks.
>
>On the root every byte counts, hence elvis is too bloated.  And in

I agree.

>The base disks aren't that space-critical. Currently  211968 byte
>(gzipped) are free, but other parts of base might grow so I hesitate
>to burn this for a vi.
>
>The base systems usually contains completely installed Debian
>packages, so the needed space is approximately the size of the
>original Debian package archive. The sizes for the vi variants are:
>- elvis 284228
>- nvi 175986
>- vim 499600
>
>So nvi is the smallest and currently would fit without requiring an
>additional disk (and it is the one and _real_ vi ;-) . But some day
>another floppy will be needed, and this might be due to vi, so the
>questions remains: Is it worth the price?

Well, if I made a 68kb big elvis-tiny package, would you at least consider
adding it to the base system? Maybe just an experimental release?

If so I'll try to cook something up this week.

Mike.
--
|    Miquel van      |  "I need more space" "Well, why not move to Texas" |
| miquels@cistron.nl |  "No, on my account, stupid." "Stupid? Uh-oh.."    |