Re: Proposal: New source format (was Re: [Fwd: Re: dpkg question])

srivasta@datasync.com (Manoj Srivastava)  wrote on 11.05.97 in <[🔎] 874tca3st8.fsf@tiamat.datasync.com>:

>  say that if the source is well behaved (that is, it is a tar file
>  that unpacks into *some* directory other than ., compressed or

You seem to think a tar that unpacks into "." is a problem. I still fail
to see why.

Just unpack into a temporary subdirectory.

What really is a problem is tar files containing ".." in their path names.
(Or path names starting with "/".) But that's certainly not a "well-
behaved" tar file.

MfG Kai