Re: Make bug package required? (was Re: berolist.deb)

> Debian did not. The user made the decision to post that password.

I think you're looking at this from the perspective of someone who
knows what is "inside" of the bug program, as opposed to someone who
is using it, in the abstract...  They're thinking "I'm reporting a
bug" not "I'm spilling my guts in email".  See comp.risks, for
examples of the reaction to the Microsoft "registration wizard"...

> Are others afraid of this kind of reasoning or why did not someone else
> come up with the idea for a bug program long before I did? I was kind of

Nope -- "send-pr" *way* predates "bug" (heck, it predates *debian*)
but we're using a written-from-scratch bug system, which ends up being
better tuned for our use than prms (err, gnats) would have been.[1]
However, it means that the user-side of the system hasn't gotten quite
as polished.

In any case, send-pr is *very* careful about what information in
includes.  (It also has a "confidential" flag which is set by default,
but in practice that doesn't mean much.)

>. Nothing is perfect on this world.
> Maybe we better stop developing software?

Nope -- if anything, you have to *keep* developing it, because you
*will* get parts of it wrong... like this "leak config info"
feature. It's *OK* to go "to far" on things like that -- if you can
gracefully learn from it :-)

			_Mark_ <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
			The Herd of Kittens
			Debian X Maintainer

ps. [1] anyone have a good email-reply-tool for working through the
database?  I've got a tool for prms that gives me a dired-style
listing, and lets me just "reply" to a bug and get all the right
people, but with the web interface I have to do that by hand, and I've
been getting some of them wrong...  maybe a gnus "nnbug" backend? :-)
If it were just bugs I had email about that would be fine, but *most*
of my outstanding bug reports are inherited...