Re: Make bug package required? (was Re: berolist.deb)

On Sun, 11 May 1997, Colin Telmer wrote:

>> Debian did not. The user made the decision to post that password.

>I recall some of the worst PR for Windows (at least around here) was that
>its registration wizard searches your harddrive for illegal copies of MS
>products and reports them (I don't know if it is true or not, but as a
>matter of public opinion, people thought it was). Your reply would be
>"just don't do it." The problem with that is that people are not always as
>fully informed as you (you wrote it, you know what it does). If I put
>debian on a machine for a colleague that wants it, for instance, to use
>TeX in a useful environment, might not even realize the security risks
>involved, an may not find out until it is too late. Blaming the user for
>doing things that are somewhat transparent doesn't seem like a
>constructive policy to me.

People ARE FULLY INFORMED with the bug program because the complete
message is presented to the user before the user sends it in. There is no
"secret information" included as of course is insinuated here and maybe
scores of people now start panicking again and fantasies run wild. Please
do not post such things in the future.

Win95 did not tell the users what was going on as far as I know. My reply
would not be "Dont do it" but "sue them" if something like that was done!

I think that should be my last word on the issue.