Re: Bug reports and fixes should be reported upstream

[ Please don't Cc: public replies to me. ]

Guy,

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to criticize anyone personally. If
the facts are as you stated, then I wouldn't blame you for not
forwarding the bugs.

However, the general issue stands, of course: bugs and fixes
should be forwarded to upstream maintainers, so that they can
be fixed in the general sources.

I've heard complaints from upstream authors a couple of times
before that Debian, Red Hat, Slackware and other distributions
don't do that. That's a shame.

Of course, I've also seen an upstream gcc maintainer (I think it
was) compliment Debian particularly by having our gcc maintainer
filter bug reports.  That one happened fairly recently, and
might still be in the bigger news spools. It was really nice
to read it.