Re: uploaded gv 3.4.3-1 (source i386) to master

> >release uses (and depends on) the shared Xaw3d library. By using the
> >-rpath option, the library has to be installed, but doesn=B4t have to be
> >used as replacement for Xaw. It would be possible to link it
> >statically against Xaw3d (still dynamically linking all the rest).
> >If there are enough requests for this, I'll change the package to do
> >this.
>
> Put me down as one person that would really like this, since my
> beliefs are:
> 1. The Xaw3D widgets are excessively ugly.
> 2. Installing Xaw3D as a replacement for Xaw means I have forced an
> asthetic change (anbd in rare cases even incompatible) change on my
> 500+ users who can't do anything to override it (the Xaw3D package to
> me is a classic example of something that is nice for a machine with
> few users but very undesirable for machines are installations with
> many users)
>
> Personally, I would like it best if the Xaw3D package was distributed
> both as (and they'd probably have to conflict)
> 1. A plug-in replacement for libXaw (as it is now).
> 2. Not as a plug in replacement for libXaw, but as a separate library
> that I can link against when building apps that require or have
> special handling for the 3d widgets (gv and xfig, for example).  IIRC,
> this means that when building the library you have to set the library
> name to libXaw3d, not libXaw.

I really don't see what you mean here, but if you just install
xaw3d, and move the Xaw3d libs in /etc/ld.so.config to below
the Xaw path, you get excactly what you want.
I don't know why you think you cannot just install xaw3d, without
forcing it on other users (or yourself).

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org