Re: Package ordering update: Handling Pre-dependencies

On 25 Apr 1997, Kai Henningsen wrote:

> srivasta@datasync.com (Manoj Srivastava)  wrote on 24.04.97 in <[🔎] 87hggvokfn.fsf@tiamat.datasync.com>:
>
> >         Does anyone have any improvements to suggest?
>
> In general, you'll get minimal breaks if you try to move pre-depended on
> packages as early as possible, and pre-depending packages as late as
> possible.

I think it's worth commenting that minimum breaks may not be a desirable
characteristic. Ideally you want -maximum- breaks. A package should be
installed and then configured as quickly as possible so that it is a
stable part of the system for the other packages to use.

Of course with dpkg's current high load time this isn't really a good
idea! :>

Jason