Re: Package ordering update: Handling Pre-dependencies

srivasta@datasync.com (Manoj Srivastava)  wrote on 24.04.97 in <[🔎] 87hggvokfn.fsf@tiamat.datasync.com>:

>         Does anyone have any improvements to suggest?

In general, you'll get minimal breaks if you try to move pre-depended on
packages as early as possible, and pre-depending packages as late as
possible.

However, I'm not quite sure how to do that in the ordering step, mostly
because I haven't seen the algorithm. You'd have to do something like,
when two packages are candidates for the same position (don't have a
dependency on each other, not even indirectly), then if one is a pre-
dependency target, move it first, or, if one is a pre-depending package,
move it last.

After doing any type of order, your method seems right to actually find
the minimal breaks for that order - it puts off breaking as long as
possible.

The reverse would also work, of course - go through the list from right to
left, and break when you encounter a package that's in the pre-depends of
one you already processed.

MfG Kai