Re: dpkg and older systems

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Philip Hands wrote:

> The first thing you are aiming for is to get dpkg to consider _itself_ to be installed.  I think this is the bare minimum you need to do, to end up with a happy dpkg/dselect:
[...]

Thanks. I might try this. I haven't decided whether to or not; I might just
wait until I finally get paid the money I'm owed and start from scratch on a
new hard disc. I've customised so much (it's not recognisable as linux-FT
which is what it was once, 18 months ago) I don't want to start from scratch
on this one, which is why I was thinking about doing an in-place upgrade.

> There is a program called dbackup (the package is available in
> project/experimental) that gives you a list of everything on your
> system that is _not_ from Debian installed packages.

That sounds useful.