Re: ifmail

On Apr 23, Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de> wrote:

 >ifmail should be setup like uucp :
 > - with an own user and group
 > - ifcico suid fidonet sgid dialout
 > 	(like uucico is suid uucp sgid dialout)
IMHO uucico should not be sgid dialout too.
And maybe it should not be suid ifmail, I always run my poll script from
ifmail's crontab or with sudo.

 > - the program, that accepts mail & news from mail daemon / news batcher
 > 	has to be suid fidonet sgid fidonet
We don't need any fidonet group, and /usr/lib/ifmail/ifmail just need to be
suid ifmail, because it is executed from news's crontab (sendmail already
runs it as fnet):
-rwxr-xr--   1 ifmail   news        70304 Jan 26 14:16 ifmail*

 > - the spool directories (or at least all file in it) should not be
 >   	readably to users (they contain emails !)
Ifcico already takes care of that. /var/lib/ifmail should be readable by
the users because the default is to keep the nodelist in /var/lib/ifmail/nl.d.

 >the key problem is : normal unix has three users for uucp, news and
 >mail, each with proper permissions. ifmail however emulates all three
 >services for ftn technology...
My system runs fine with just the ifmail binary being suid ifmail.

--
ciao,
Marco