Re: New section cdrom-able (?)

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, Christian Schwarz wrote:
>
> > I don't think this is worth the trouble. The non-free section is thought
> > for packages that are not free according to our interpretation of "free".
> > This does not mean that all programs in the section cannot be placed on a
> > CD-ROM. Instead, the CD-ROM vendors can check all licenses of the programs
> > in non-free and decide themselves if they want to include it or not.
> > So if zip/unzip is not "free" just put it into non-free.
>
>  Ok. The problem are the CDROM makers that don't take the time to do this,
> they exclude the whole section. This is bad for Debian, because people
> says: "Debian has no Java! RH does!"

Answer: Debian has, your CD don't. Buy a better CD. :-)

>  The other problem is the Packages.gz file. dselect would show packages
> that aren't included in the CD.. You can't ask CDROM vendors to run
> dpkg-scanpackages.
>
>  I vote for having such a section...

We should not base our decisions in the lazyness of _some_ CD makers.
If vendor A sells a Debian distribution without non-free and
vendor B sells another with part of non-free, people will choose
the best offer, just let them know. Is the same thing with the non-US
section and non-US vendors. Some of them include it, some don't.
Must we teach them how to make their products?

--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental			Univ. de La Laguna