Re: New section cdrom-able (?)

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> I don't think this is worth the trouble. The non-free section is thought
> for packages that are not free according to our interpretation of "free".
> This does not mean that all programs in the section cannot be placed on a
> CD-ROM. Instead, the CD-ROM vendors can check all licenses of the programs
> in non-free and decide themselves if they want to include it or not.
> So if zip/unzip is not "free" just put it into non-free.

 Ok. The problem are the CDROM makers that don't take the time to do this,
they exclude the whole section. This is bad for Debian, because people
says: "Debian has no Java! RH does!"

 The other problem is the Packages.gz file. dselect would show packages
that aren't included in the CD.. You can't ask CDROM vendors to run
dpkg-scanpackages.

 I vote for having such a section...

--
Nicolás Lichtmaier.-