dpkg and older systems

I've got a slackware 2.x system that I upgraded to ELF a while ago (1.2.13
patched kernel and libc 5.0.9) that I'm going to slowly turn into a Debian
system (a clean start unfortunately, is not an option).

I'm trying to compile dpkg 1.4.0.7 on it, and I'm running into some
compile problems.  If I bother to make a proper patch for this, will it go
back into dpkg?  Or are older systems considered unsupported?

Just wondering whether to hack hack hack or patch patch patch. :-)

-douglas