Debian for Amiga, inital troubles

G'day All,
  First of all, yes I know the Amiga Debian is still very experimental, but
I thought I'd give it a go.  So I grabbed a whole lot of deb files for m68k
and also dpkg*nondeian.tar.gz and away I went... or so I thought.

You see, you need ldconfig and ncurses for dpkg and dselect respectively, ok
extract these on the i386 machine and tar them up, we're getting closer.

Now I have a problem; dselect says their is no available methods and when I
try dpkg -i <debfile> I get
dpkg: error processing base-files_1.2.4.deb (--install):
 parse error, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/control' near line 1:
 invsalid package name (must start with an alphanumeric)

Next I tried the base720-* disks, I can put them on floppies but as the
boot/root disks aren't ready yet, is there a way of reading them?  tar, nm
and gzip doesn't seem to understand them.

hmm, so I'm basically stuck.

So here's the questions;
  * How do I convince dselect there really is methods available?
  * Why is dpkg saying that 'b' (as in base-files) is not alphanumeric.
  * How can I read those floppy disks?

  - Craig

--
  // /\   |  | |  Craig Small VK2XLZ     @home: csmall@gonzo.triode.net.au