Re: SOLVED: Erk! Something is *really* wrong here!

At 05:30 PM 3/3/97 +0100, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>I think your wtmp file is corrupt. The standard cron.monthly script
>rotates it every month - so then you start out with a clean one and
>the problem is gone.
>Just copy your wtmp file to wtmp.old or so, and truncate (not delete) the
>original one using ": > /var/log/wtmp" when this happens again.

Ok, I've just done this.  However, would this have any relation to the utmp
corrupting outputs of 'w' and 'who' as well?

   Karl Ferguson,
   Tower Networking Pty Ltd                     karl@tower.net.au
   t/a STAR Online Services                      karl@debian.org
   Tel: +61-9-455-3446  Fax: +61-9-455-2776   http://www.star.net.au