long lines in source package (was: Re: no final newline in source package: how to deal with this?)

Joey Hess wrote:

> The problem is a newline in a file that comes with the original souce of
> the package, in my case it was a file named Demo.bash. This file was
> lacking a final newline, and dpkg-source barfed all over it.

Here is a similar problem, the metamail source package has
manual pages that contain lines longer than 256 chars.  As
it turns out, one of the man pages needed fixing and patch
couldn't cope with the result of diff.

What should be done in this case? I do have a patch for patch
but in light of the recent discussion on subdirectories under
debian/ this is contradictory to the spirit of the standard.
What are the alternatives?
--
Debian GNU/Linux 1.2 is out! { http://www.debian.org/ }
Email:  Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <herbert@greathan.apana.org.au>