Re: How to make it shared

According to Frederic Lepied:

>     IT>     During package creation, after debian/rules, the binaries come out static.
>     IT>     How can I make them dynamically shared ? My LD_RUN_PATH is unset,
>     IT>     and debian/rules build was edited to compile with:
>     IT>     make CFLAGS="-O2 -Wall -s", everything else was left unchanged.
>     IT>     Same story when I compile the hello package from the sources, with
>     IT>     diffs then ./config .
>

>     IT> That's what I get on my package:
>     IT> % debian/rules
>     IT> (...successful output..)
>     IT> % file ascii
>     IT> ascii: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, stripped
>     IT> % ldd ascii
>     IT>       statically linked (ELF)
>
> I had the same problem  on a newly  installed debian system and  found
> that the problem came from  missing links in  /lib which prevented the
> link phasis to  chose the right library.  For example the link between
> libc.so.5 to libc.so makes the libc links dynamically.
>
> I don't which  product  is   in  fault gcc/ld, ldconfig   or   library
> installations ?

Do make sure that you have both libc5_5.x.y AND libc5-dev_5.x.y installed
where x and y match, otherwise you will indeed get statically linked
binaries.

Mike.
--
   Miquel van      | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.
   Smoorenburg,    | mailto:info@cistron.nl          http://www.cistron.nl/