How to make it shared

    During package creation, after debian/rules, the binaries come out static.
    How can I make them dynamically shared ? My LD_RUN_PATH is unset,
    and debian/rules build was edited to compile with:
    make CFLAGS="-O2 -Wall -s", everything else was left unchanged.
    Same story when I compile the hello package from the sources, with
    diffs then ./config .

That's what I get on my package:
% debian/rules
(...successful output..)
% file ascii
ascii: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, stripped
% ldd ascii
      statically linked (ELF)

Later, I tried this:
% gcc --shared -O2 -s -o ascii -fPIC ascii.c
% ldd ascii
        ./ascii => ./ascii
        libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5.4.20

% ./ascii
Segmentation fault

Ioannis Tambouras
ioannis@flinet.com
PGP 1024/FA9F8851, West Palm Beach, Florida