Re: Should wg15 be splitted?

Orn E. Hansen wrote:

>   If you change, just ONE character in a displayed text... the entire
> translation for that text, is thereby USELESS.  And will not display.  The
> translation scheme DEPENDS on the text being unchanged.  Maintainers will
> need to change the code, and the text displayed with it... but you can't
> expect them to do translations... nor do I think you can expect the GNU
> community to do Debian specific translation.

This is why, as maintainer of {file,shell,text}utils, I've been _very_
careful not to make any changes to text marked for translation.  If
I need to add text, I put in a new printf call which dosen't use the
gettext markup.  If something in the translated text needs fixing, I
forward it upstream.  If it's trivial, like a spelling problem, I
might change it and edit the translation files to cope.

>   And last, not least... you are likely to have a country representative
> in a distribution, that is not represented in any translations.  Not a long
> time ago, there was someone here from Brasil, there is no translation nor
> a keyboard layout for Brasil.  If the person is enthusiastic, (s)he will
> make the changes necessary for his/her country... according to the
> distribution (s)he has.  If debian wellcomes such changes, it will thereby
> open a new market for its distribution...

Certainly, this is true.  But translations for GNU packages should be
done under GNU's auspices.  We can accept keyboard layouts and such
directly, and could probably work in new translations before they
reach upstream, but anybody wanting to do this should get in touch
with the appropriate GNU translation team, or start one if there isn't
one.

--Galen