Re: Dismal failures with Debian boot floopy

Michal Jaegermann <michal@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca> writes:

> One of machines is my desktop Intel box which runs Linux for
> a looong time.  Currently it has Cyrix chip, NCR SCSI controller
> and SCSI CD.  The other one is laptop Toshiba Tecra 500 CDT
> with true Intel Pentium and ATAPI/IDE interface.
>
> Both these machines failed consistently with boot disks using 2.0.27
> (Decemeber) and 2.0.25 (November); different physically diskettes did not
> change anything.  Failure modes are always the same although different
> for both machines.
>
> Toshiba simply reboots immediately after "loading linux" is finished.
> No messages.  Just blank screen and reboot.

The Linux kernel had a problem with the Toshiba tecra. This is solved
in kernel-image_2.0.27_2 and the 1997-01-18 installation disks.

> The desktop box goes further and tries to probe for various CD
> interfaces.  After an attempt at Goldstar at 0x340 it locks up totally;
> even "three finger salute" does not work.  When I try to "protect"
> this address it tells me that the address is not available and promptly
> locks up again.  Unfortunately perusing this disk I did not find
> a method to prevent these demented probes.  Nice "rescue"!

Some of the proprietary CD-ROM interface drivers do an a bit dangerous
probing. Therefore they are now provided as modules in the 1997-01-18
installation disks. Try them.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/