Re: More support European users in Debian

Orn E. Hansen wrote:

> >I would like to see the system allowing different users to
> >use different languages settings, contemporary or not, from the
> > console (means using the same keyboard) or logging from
> > remote/serial connections.
>
> Hear hear...
>
> However an initial setup with LANG wouldn't hurt... as long as its
> running functionality wouldn't be removed.
>
> Thus a user in Holland would choose LANG=nl as his initial setup,
> and the system would work in that locale as default (as opposed to
> english as default), but a user could change his own LANG variable
> to reflect another language environment for his private use, just
> as now.

I don't agree.
Suppose I've got an account on your machine which is set by default to
icelantic, and then the system displays some strange warning before I
can log in ...

A global setting would influence also root, and therefore all system
messages and the programs that scans this output ...

This looks to me like a bad idea.
Please, leave English as the default AND root language and add easy
configuration commands to let a user select (and change on the fly)
language and locale, as he can just now do with keyboard and timezone.

ciao,
fabrizio
| fpolacco@icenet.fi  fpolacco@debian.org  fpolacco@megabaud.fi |
| fingerprint  70 1A 72 2D 2B C8 A5 63  7A C2 CC E0 2A 54 AE DA |
| finger for PGP key: fpolacco@master.debian.org                |