required to be root? (Was: Debian development using ...)

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Philippe Troin wrote:

> On 15 Jan 1997 13:56:45 CST Guy Maor (maor@ece.utexas.edu) wrote:
>
> > Chow Chi-Ming <cmchow@se.cuhk.edu.hk> writes:
> >
> > > I want to know if we are allowed to do debian related development (eg
> > > building debian packages) on master using our developper account?  If
> > > yes, how do we get pgp sigs (pgp isn't installed on master)?
> >
> > More importantly, you have to be root to build packages.
>
> I was thinking about this... Generally, the only place in debian/rules where one needs to be root is when chowning the files to root.
> Couldn't we just do this in the tarfile, just before compression ?
> It would eliminate the need to be root then...

I have a question related to this.  It does seem that to
build a package one needs to be root.  A consequence of this
it that when I run dpkg-buildpackage, it tries to sign the
resulting package with the root pgp key.  This doesn't seem
correct to me.

What do folks do to get around this problem?

--- Jean Pierre